“Resilience is the skill above all others that helps entrepreneurs to excel”
You can’t survive as an entrepreneur without resilience, because you are going to fail at least once, maybe multiple times. The ability to be resilient, persevere and perform under extreme pressure has often defined the success of entrepreneurs.
If you need more evidence that great entrepreneurs survived through resilience, just look into the backgrounds of more recent entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and Elon Musk. They all experienced multiple setbacks along the way, but they persevered to become some of the most well-known and respected entrepreneurs of our time.
Mental Toughness: Resilience for Entrepreneurial Success aims to introduce entrepreneurs to the science of resilience, originating in sports, and now widely practiced in business, corporations, investment, academia, performing arts, and the military.
From the Mental Toughness Research Institute USA, discover: • The 3R’s of an Entrepreneur’s Profile
• The Need for Resilience
• Mental Toughness: The Key to Resilience
• The 5C’s of Mental Toughness
• Using the 5C’s to Ride Challenging Times.
Edgar ThamMSc, DUniv(Hon), Reg.Psych, CSC, RH, C.NLPMP, Sport & Performance Psychologist, Peak Performance Coach
Edgar is Singapore's pioneer Sport & Performance Psychologist; he has worked with more than 40 different performance domains (e.g., sports, music, performing arts, military, civil defense, business, sales, online forex/futures trading, and motor racing) since 1993. He was employed by the Singapore Government as its very first local sport psychologist in 1995.
Edgar was the founding Head of the Sport Psychology Unit of the Singapore Sports Council in 1996. He was team consultant and traveling psychologist to numerous national teams preparing for the SEA Games, Asian Youth Games, Asian Games, Commonwealth Games, Youth Olympic Games, Olympic Games, Paralympic Games, World Championships, and ASEAN Armies Rifle Meets (till 2001). Currently, Edgar is a full-time sport & performance psychologist in private practice. He has consulted for and implemented season-long sport psychology programmes for numerous sports teams.
As a Registered Psychologist (since 2002) with the Singapore Psychological Society, Edgar is listed in the International Who's Who of Professionals (2000) for his specialized work in peak performance psychology. He is the author / co-author of the following publications:
• Mental Toughness Strategies of the World’s Greatest Athletes, with Dr Daniel A. Weigand, Health Sciences Academy, USA, August 2010
• Scientifically Slim: 30 Proven Ways to Lose Weight & Keep It Off, with Dr Machiel Kennedy & Shirlaine Phang, Langdon Street Press, USA, July 2009
• World Sport Psychology Sourcebook, 3rd Edition (Chapter Contributor; Sport Psychology in Singapore), with Dr Teh Kong Chuan, Fitness Information Technology, USA, Dec 2001
• Psychological Rehabilitation [audio CD], Singapore Sports Council, Dec 2000
• In the Zone: The Mindset for Peak Performance [audio book], Singapore Sports Council, July 1997
Edgar teaches as an adjunct teaching faculty member of several undergraduate psychology and sport science diploma / degree courses. He is also a long-time lecturer for the Singapore Sports Council’s National Coaching Accreditation Programme in Sport Psychology (Mental Skills Training) since 1996.
In 2010, Edgar was awarded the highly prestigious Diplomat in Sport Psychology by the International Sports Professionals Association (USA) for his pioneering work and contributions in sport psychology in Asia.